The oven light is a handy tool that allows you to check the status of your food while it is still cooking. However, what are you supposed to do if this trusty tool begins to fail you? Why won’t your oven light turn on, and what can you do about it?
To fix an oven light that won’t turn on, first hit the light switch. Next, reset the oven by unplugging it for 60 seconds. Then, replace the light bulb. Finally, you may need to call a professional technician if the problems persist after you’ve performed this maintenance.
Having a basic idea of what needs to be done to fix your oven is good, but you likely don’t know exactly how to do all of these things. So let’s go through all potential causes for a malfunctioning oven light and how to fix them step-by-step.
Why Your Oven Light Isn’t Working
There are a couple of different things that could potentially cause an oven’s light not to work. Let’s quickly go through the most common issues that can cause this and how to fix them.
Your Oven Light Switch is Off
This may seem too obvious, but you would be surprised at the number of people who don’t even know this is a feature. Also, even if you know about it, it’s still worth checking if this is the problem.
Almost every oven model has a switch that allows you to turn the oven light on or off manually. It’s mainly so you can turn the oven light on to clean it or for any other reason you want to switch on or off the oven light.
The unfortunate part is the oven light switch is not in the same location on every oven, meaning you will have to search for yours. Mine is just next to the numbers but isn’t immediately obvious.
In the worst-case scenario, look in your owner’s manual to find it, or you can look up the brand and model number on Google to find a diagram of the oven.
Another common thing that can cause your oven light to stop working is a power surge tampering with its electronics.
Thankfully, this issue has an easy fix. You need to reset your oven by unplugging it for about 60 seconds and then plugging it back in.
Another issue that could cause your oven’s light to not come on is faulty parts. This could be due to any number of parts, from the door sensor to the oven’s wiring.
As we don’t know the exact cause, in this case, you likely want to call a technician to come in and fix your oven for you.
How to Replace Your Oven’s Light Bulb
Replacing an oven light bulb is a simple task that can be accomplished with a few basic tools. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you replace the light bulb in your oven:
- First, ensure your oven is turned off, unplugged, and at room temperature. This is an important safety precaution as you will be working with electricity, and an oven can be extremely hot.
- Next, locate the light bulb cover in the oven, usually at the bottom of the oven or behind the control panel. Some ovens may have a small access panel that needs to be removed to access the light bulb.
- Once you have located the light bulb cover, remove it by gently unscrewing or pressing it in and pulling it out.
- Once the cover is off, remove the old light bulb by gently grasping it and turning it counterclockwise. If the light bulb is difficult to remove, you can use a pair of pliers to twist it out gently.
- Insert the new light bulb into the socket by gently turning it clockwise. Make sure it is fully seated in the socket. Replace the light bulb cover by pressing it back into place and screwing it in if necessary.
- Finally, plug the oven back in and turn it on to test the new light bulb. If the light bulb does not work, ensure it is correctly seated in the socket and try again.
It is important to note that different ovens may have slightly different instructions for replacing the light bulb.
Therefore, if unsure of how to proceed, it is always best to consult the owner’s manual or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions.
Is an Oven Light Necessary?
After reading all this, you may think this sounds like too much effort for a light in your oven. But is it even necessary to have a light in your oven? Will the oven not work without it?
The answer to these questions is no; you don’t need a light in your oven for it to work correctly.
The only real reason you need a light in your oven is to check food while it’s still in the oven and to clean its interior.
Without the oven light, you can check the progress of your food by simply taking it out of the oven and inspecting it. Additionally, if you need to clean the inside of the oven, you can use a flashlight.
The oven light is not necessary, but it is one that most oven owners prefer to have in their ovens.